I’ve found that hernia, a condition commonly referred to as “ania” here in Kampala, is one of the illnesses most confused by people . For whatever reason, everyone seems to have their own version of understanding the condition, with everyone their own idea of managing it. In all this confusion, what makes me most sad is that I usually find a herbalist’s car parked in a town center with a loud speaker on top of it, proclaiming the gospel of herbs for hernia. And then i also see people moving over to the vehicle to buy the herbal remedies for the hernia, and i beat myself in the chest and say Oh God, another culprit of misinformation!!
Why do you need to care about hernia?
Because hernia (especially of the groin) affects about 27% of males and about 35% of females in their lifetime. It could easily affect you.
What is hernia?
Hernia is a condition when an organ e.g the intestine comes out of the cavity or region in which it’s supposed to be contained for example an intestine can come out of the abdomen protruding through those muscles.
Hernia occurs in different ways and is of different types(don’t mind the terminology);
- Inguinal;this occurs in the inner groin and it mostly occurs in men because of a natural weakness of the muscles in this area.
- Femoral; This occurs in the outer groin. It’s very common in women who are obese or are pregnant.
- Incisional;this usually occurs as a consequence of weakening of muscles after a surgical operation.The intestine protrudes through the abdominal wall. It’s very common in elderly people who are inactive.
- Umbilical;this occurs at the belly button(navel). It’s very common in new born children. Very many children you see with big belly buttons usually have this hernia. But the good thing is that it often self corrects as the child grows.
- Hiatal;Occurs at upper stomach, when a piece of stomach squeezes through the opening of the diaphragm.
You can also read: Ask the doctor: Why are my stomach ulcers not healing?
How do you tell that you have a hernia?[Signs and symptoms]
- Bulging at site of hernia; this occurs when you carry something heavy or when you cough. the bulging can disappear when you lie down.
- pain at site of hernia
- severe vomiting
- swelling of abdomen
- Intense Pain at site of hernia.
N.B: Sometimes an intestine can get twisted and get blocked at the site of the hernia, a condition we call “Strangulation”. Now when strangulation occurs, you may get the folowing signs and symptoms which require emergent medical attention;
Who can get a hernia?
People who :
- lift very heavy objects
- have consistent constipation
- smoke a lot
- are obese
- have persistent diarrhea
- have persistent cough
So, can herbs heal hernia?
Hell NOO. Herbs can’t heal hernia. Simply understand a hernia as some sort of hole through which some organ protrudes. This opening can either close by itself as it commonly does in newborns and children below 5 years or it has to be surgically repaired. There’s no way a herb is going to close this opening just like that as if it is glue. So if you’re an adult taking herbs say for an inguinal hernia, you may have to reconsider your decision.
Therefore should you get the signs and symptoms as explained above or should you see them in your child, please visit the nearest health center and talk to a doctor. You can as well seek instant advice from our online doctors at aferdoc.com. Our doctors will avail you with the best advice and even offer you a referral to have your condition professionally managed.